Approved Vendor List (AVL)
Approved Vendors Lists are used by many companies to ensure
that purchased parts meet specification and quality targets. This
tutorial teaches the ERPlite process for generating the Approved Vendors List
(AVL) for each purchased part and for using the AVL in Purchase Orders.
In this tutorial, you will create a manufacturer, create the AVL for a
component, print the AVL, and use the AVL in a PO to select the vendor for the
Qualified Vendor: is a supplier that can be
- The original manufacturer
- A substitute part manufacturer whose part meets the
specifications of the original manufacturer.
- A distributor of the original manufacturer or substitute
Original Manufacturer: is the manufacturer that controls the
design of the part. The part can be purchased from the original
manufacturer or a distributor. The distributor resells the part, and does
not change the design specifications.
Substitute Part: is a part designed by a competitor to the original
manufacturer that fully meets the original manufacturer's specifications.
Purchase Order(PO): entry of components to be purchased from a
supplier and the required delivery dates.
PO Receiving: transfer the received product to Stores (upcounting
Stores Inventory Counts).
Enter a Manufacturer
- Go to the Suppliers form:
- Click the new button () at the bottom of the form
- Data to be entered:
Close the Suppliers form
- Supplier Name: Tatung
- Country: Korea
- Manufacturer?: click to place a checkmark in the box
Enter the Approved Vendors for an item
For this step we will use a part from our sample data:
- Open the ItemMaster:
- Select the item: In the Lookup drop down
list, select CMP0002 and then click the go button
- Enter the Approved Vendors:
Select a Manufacturer: This entry in the AVL
is for a substitute item
- Click the AVL tab. You will see that there are
already 2 vendors in the list.
- The Primary Vendor is the default vendor we will use for
any kind of automated process that needs to know the vendor for an item.
- Change the Release Status to "Not Released" by
selecting Not Released from the drop down at the top of the form
- Add a new vendor to the list by clicking in the new row
under the vendor column. You will see that when you click in the
box, it is a drop down list. Drop down the list and select WITCHES
WAY from the list.
- Enter the vendor part number: WCH0003
Close the ItemMaster
- Select the new manufacturer you created (Tatung) from the
drop down list.
- The Manufacturer's part number will be M1236
- Change the Release Status back to "Released"
Print the AVL
The AVL for all purchased parts is a useful reference document. The latest,
up to date version can be printed at any time.
- Open the AVL Report: From the switchboard
select Reports->AVL Report
- Print the AVL: File->Print
Purchase Order Using AVL Items
You will create a PO for the CMP0002 and select a vendor from the AVL for
- Open the Purchase Order form:
Switchboard->Mfg Orders->Purchase Order
- Create a new PO: Click the New button on the form
- Enter Required Data: Select WITCHES WAY as the supplier,
and it does not matter what names you choose for Employee and Attention
- Select the Item: Select CMP0002 from the drop
- Select the Vendor part number: Select Part
number WCH0003. The vendor part number drop down list is filtered to
only show AVL entries for the selected supplier and item
- Preview the PO: Click the Preview PO button.
Verify the correctness of the PO, and then print it by selecting
File->Print from the menu.